Friday, March 16, 2007

The Mail

New Mailboxes Look Like Star Wars Character
March 16th, 2007 @ 6:52am
(KSL News) You may be surprised by the sight of some new mailboxes around the valley. That's because they look like a favorite Star Wars character R2-D2.


The U.S. Postal Service and Lucas Films have joined forces to promote a new stamp to be announced March 28th. About 400 mailboxes in 200 cities will be covered to look like the lovable droid.

The Post Office's chief marketing officer says, "When you look at a mailbox, the resemblance to R2-D2 is too good to pass up."




I like that last line. So you're driving around, maybe listening to the Diane Rehm show, sipping a Dr. Pepper, and then you see R2-D2 standing on the sidewalk. You think "Wowie wow wow wow!!! Sure, online bill pay is convenient, and I only communicate with my friends and family via text messages, but come on, it's R2-D2. I'm gonna write me some letters. Maybe subscribe to a few magazines while I'm at it."

I really wish I would have had the opportunity to hear the newscaster say the phrase "lovable droid."

6 comments:

  1. R2D2 stamp? Well, Martin Luther King got a stamp, George Washington has a stamp... I guess R2 is the natural choice for receiving such an honor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! OH! I love R2. Hey, B -- is there anywhere that lists where these mailboxes will be located? I need to go make a total nerdly fool of myself and take pictures with one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy there. I think that might be a federal offense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does this mean the people behind the counter will start communicating with us in a series of uninteligable whistles?

    Oh. Wait. They already do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. George Lucas has too much money. The US Postal Service has too much time on its hands.

    Juder - did you know it is a federal offence in England to stick a stamp (with the Queen's head on it) upside down on an envelope? It is also an offence to draw a moustache on her.

    You're completely buggered if you draw on her AND stick it upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But you can also use a stamp as currency, right?

    ReplyDelete