Monday, October 15, 2007

The Big Game

A few weeks ago I made the difficult decision to give up television. We were just going through the motions anyway. The spark was gone. Our time together used to be so comforting, but now it was just awkward.

It wasn't a clean break. I still watch two or three shows regularly, and the baseball playoffs (ROCKIES!), and I can't wait for Lost to return in February, but other than that I've probably cut out 87% of my television viewing. I feel great, and I'm making progress with my various artistic pursuits like never before.

One of the biggest perks of giving up television is that it has allowed me to watch more television.

"WHAT?!?!?!?"

Well you see, it is the year 2007. A golden age. Quality entertainment is just a disc away. Instead of wasting my time on junk television like the late night chat shows or LA Ink or Prison Break, I can watch the Wire or Rome or any number of great programs with the convenience of DVD.

The reason I bring this up is because this weekend I dove into Season 1 of Friday Night Lights. I was sceptical at first. a) it's about High School. b) it's about High School Football. c) it's about High School Football in Texas. I'm not much of a football fan (aside from the epic Tecmobattles between Chris and I), I'm not in High School (not anymore) and last time I went to Texas I got run right out of town. But certain friends insisted that I watch the show, so on a rainy Saturday morning I gave it a shot.

I was hooked within the first ten minutes. I'm as shocked as you are. I cannot believe how good this show is. I'm really sad that I only have eighteen episodes left.

That's about it for my weekend. Friday night I saw The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford as Portrayed by Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck, Respectively, with Admirable Supporting Turns from Sam Rockwell, Garrett Dillahunt, and Paul Schneider. I've been looking forward to this move for a very long time. It exceeded my expectations, but it's really a film's film. I was blown away by the cinematography and the framing and the music... it's not without it's faults though. The chief complaint seems to be that it's too long. It is. It's long and slow and meditative and poetic but also really long. BUT the last scene absolutely took my breath away. Can't wait to pick it up on DVD.

Saturday night I went to a place called Settabello. I usually don't like that Napoli style Margherita pizza but this was really good. While at dinner we (me and a couple people that probably don't read this blog) came up with a super long and painful "bit" involving these phrases, Tutoring, Tudoring, Tudor Homes, Tudor; Holmes, Two-Door Homes, To-Door Homes. Kind of a Who's on First thing. Probably the most unfunny thing we've ever done, but that's what makes it funny. But really it wasn't funny. You had to be there, but be glad you weren't.

7 comments:

  1. FNL - I'll start disc 3 this week. I stayed up into the night on Saturday because you have to watch disc 2 all in one sitting. The last episode of disc 2 is so so good and I'll watch it again. You better believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also - after an experience I had just now with Cosmo tooting I think you could add "tooter" to your bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, this blog is really good. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kersten really hates it when I do this, but its actually Settebello and that place is the absolutely the best place to get Pizza in the entire United States of America. Except for perhaps the other location in Las Vegas. Now I have had pizza in New York and New York style pizza is good, but Napoli style pizza is the ORIGINAL pizza and the best and Settebello does it better than anywhere I have ever been. They have an actual Pizzaiolo Napoletano that makes the pizzas. SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and why is Casey Affleck oh so good and Ben Affleck oh so bad?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jude, I'm four episodes in. I'm at the point where I will avoid any sort of social engagements to stay home and watch the show. Also, good point about tooter.

    Jesse! Thanks. Welcome to the blog.

    Tai, thanks, I was too busy (lazy) to look up the correct spelling. Your endorsement makes me want to go back now. If I'm not mistaken you lived in Naples right? So you know a thing or two about Napoli style pizza.

    Yeah, Casey Affleck. I'm not afraid to say that I'm a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read your blog. Usually a few entries at a time.

    ReplyDelete