Wednesday, March 19, 2008

anhedonia

Troubling news out of the Microsuede camp. I may have to give up coffee. Sometime last week I became very anxietous. Not that I was nervous or worrying about things, but my heart became all poundy. That's not cool. As an experiment I went a couple of days without coffee, and I was fine. I mean, jitter-wise I was fine. I did fall asleep in the middle of giving a presentation to the VPs though.

To further the experiment I had some coffee yesterday, with the same pulse racing result. Today is another no-coffee today. We'll see how it goes. I'm feeling pretty dead inside. I would say "robotic" but robots generally serve some kind of purpose.

I have an appointment with a trained medical professional tomorrow, so maybe he'll know what's going on. Though one time he kept me waiting over an hour and when he came back he got Carl's Jr. all over the place.

If I do have to give up coffee it should be okay, I am pretty good at giving things up. I cut out 90% of my television viewing, I went 77 days without a drop of hops or spirits, and quitting smoking was the easiest thing I've ever done.

I don't get a lot of credit for quitting smoking, since my smoking habit lasted exactly as long as the time it took to snap this picture, but still.

8 comments:

  1. Oh come on, B, coffee is about as addictive as cigarettes! And we all know that cigarettes are PERFECTLY healthy. Just ask Bob Dole and Phillip Morris. So don't go doing anything crazy like giving up coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You THINK you've quit smoking, but we shall see what tomorrow brings. Did you perchance purchase said cigarette with a credit card? Next thing you know they'll be sending you free cigarettes in the mail, just to be extra sure you get good and hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an example to us all. An unflappable rock of a man from which we can all learn. By the way, that cigarette makes you look way cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard that eating an apple will give you the same amount of pick-up as a cup of coffee, but without the adverse effects. I do it, but I don't know how it compares. I also treat myself to the really good apples and I always bring one with me to work so it's around when I need it. Plus it gives you fiber for very little calories. Coffee is empty calories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on quitting smoking. Now maybe I can invite you over to my house. Maybe you should try green tea. Less caffeine, and I think it fights disease.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anhedonic, you say? you need to re-read your Skunk With a Cup on its Head post. Or the one about how that one time you went to the zoo and played with monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to quit caffeine for a while last year... It wasn't the racing heart problem, I got adrenal depletion, basically everytime I had caffeine my body would shut down. My vice was Monster and RockStar energy drinks, but it still sucked to give it up.

    Good luck...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What did the doc have to say?

    ReplyDelete